PRESERVATION VOLUME 39 NUMBER 1 Louisiana State Historic Preservation Office PRESERVATION RESOURCE CENTER OF NEW ORLEANS FEBRUARY 2012 IN PRINT Reinventing 800 Magazine 1884: Ornate building constructed for F. Johnson & Son livery and undertaking establishment Pre-1940: Elaborate façade removed and third floor added 1940: American Coffee Co. purchases building to roast and distribute coffee 2008: Reily Foods Co. buys business and later sells building to Katherine and Tony Gelderman 2011: PRC accepts historic easement and Nation- al Park Service approves federal rehabilitation tax credit, contingent on completed renovation 2012: Work begins to re-create original façade and adapt building for residential and commercial use ARTHUR DAVIS ARCHITECT 30 THE BIRTH OF MODERNISM 12 INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL IN ALGIERS 24 Page 16